In today’s society, we are becoming more aware of our health and looking after ourselves not only to live longer, but to keep ourselves looking better, either to attract soul mate or keep our partner happy and attracted to us. No one likes the putrid stench of body odor and we are engrained in our daily grooming routine to apply antiperspirant or deodorant to make sure we’re not killing anyone with our BO. But did you know that most main stream antiperspirants and deodorant contain harmful chemicals? They may have the desired effect of stopping sweating and getting rid of the stench but at what cost to your health? In extreme cases, people have died from using too much deodorant, like a 12 year old UK boy who died after using to much Lynx body spray and although it has yet to have conclusive evidence, some cases of breast and lymph node cancers have been suspected to be the result of the use of antiperspirants and deodorant abundant with aluminium and other nasty’s!
Below are 6 harmful ingredients that are probably in your deodorant.
- Aluminium – (Aluminium chloralhydrate, aluminium zirconium tetracholorohydrex gly) Aluminium core function in antiperspirants is to act as a plug in the sweat glands to stop the flow of sweat. Your skin is the largest organ in your body and just like everything you put on your skin, these compounds are absorbed into the body. Aluminium in the body can mimic estrogen which can promote growth of cancerous cells.
- Parabens – (Methyl, Ethyl, Propyl, Benzyl and Butyl) Parabens are one of the most common chemical compounds found in everyday cosmetic products, deodorants and antiperspirants. Parabens are bad as they disturb the body’s hormonal balance by mimicking estrogen. High estrogen levels are said to play apart in breast cancer (yes, men can get breast cancer too!). And us Bearded Chap’s are all about testosterone, not estrogen! Stay away from parabens.
- Silica - This chemical compound is known to irritate the skin and can sometimes be contaminated with crystalline quartz which is a carcinogen and capable of causing cancer! Silica can also increase your allergies and immunotoxitcity.
- Triclosan – Known as another skin irritant, this badboy can actually cause dermatitis as well! It does this by killing both good and bad bacteria on your skin! Triclosan is listed as a pesticide by the FDA! It may stop your pong, but is it worth it?
- Artificial Fragrance - Artificial fragrances are exactly that, artificial! They are a big contributor to skin irritation under your armpit, can increases the chance of allergies and organ system toxicity! Oh and the production of some mainstream fragrances is actually harmful to the environment!
- Proplyn Glycol – This chemical can cause delayed allergic reactions and falls in to the category of a neurotoxin which can lead to kidney and liver damage through long term exposure!
So when you get home and go to use your deodorant or antiperspirant next time, have a look on the ingredients list and see if any of these are on there. If so, it might be worth throwing in the bin. The Bearded Chap’s Military Spec Deodorant is 100% natural and free from any of the nasty compounds listed above. Click on our deodorant range below to learn about the benefits of switching to a natural deodorant.